Monday, July 11, 2016

DIY String Art

So one of the projects that I worked on while I was in school was creating superhero logos out of string.

First off, this is not a project for the faint of heart. Pinterest makes this look wayyyyy easier than it is.

Second, blisters are inevitable

Third, it is time consuming and requires patience

So if your up for a challenge and looking for a project, it is fairly simple to create string art,

Supplies:
*Wood pieces: I have 16x16. I bought a board at Lowes and they cut it into pieces for me
*drill with tiny bit the size of a nail hole (trust me, this will make the process go 10x faster)
*short/tiny nails with large flat head
*hammer
*string (I got embroidery thread at Hobby Lobby. The big rolls are worth the investment)

So I printed out logos on the internet, taped them onto the wood piece and proceeded to mark with a sharpie where I wanted to put the nails.

First, I tried nailing the nail straight into the wood. Let me tell you, after about 30 minute I had 5 very crooked nails. Pathetic. I was ready to give up. However, one of my wonderful handyman friend suggested the drill bit, so I proceeded to drill holes first, then nail the nails in. LIFESAVER!!!! 

So once I got all the nails in the wholes, I began the stringing process.
This takes nimble fingers and after about an hour it hurts! I definitely recommend doing this over the course of a few days. Maybe you can watch your favorite superhero movie for motivation while your do it. Patience is important here. Don't get frustrated when the past 5 nails unravel because your lost your grip on the string. IT GETS EASIER WITH PRACTICE. 

I was pretty happy with the results. If I ever do this again the only thing I would change is that I would stain or paint the wood before I did the artwork on top. That was an afterthought for me and I think it would pop better with a dark brown stain or solid color as a background. 



No comments:

Post a Comment